For Life on Purpose Episode #22, my guest is Ayurvedic Lifestyle Counselor, yoga and meditation teacher, and author Michelle Fondin. Michelle joins me to discuss all things Ayurveda — from how it helped drastically change her life after she was diagnosed with cancer at age 28 to how it can help you find the health answers you’re seeking by tapping into your body’s inherent wisdom, as well as some of the tools she uses to live a purposeful life.
About Michelle Fondin:
Michelle Fondin is an Ayurvedic Lifestyle Counselor, yoga and meditation teacher, author, and since 2008, the Owner of The Ayurvedic Path. She holds a Vedic Master certificate from the Chopra Center and has worked with Drs. Deepak Chopra and David Simon at Chopra Center events teaching yoga and meditation.
She regularly sees clients and teaches them how to live an Ayurvedic Lifestyle and achieve optimal wellness. She’s a member of the National Ayurvedic Medical Association, The Association of Ayurvedic Professionals of North America and Yoga Alliance and writes for Chopra.com. She lives in Virginia with her three kids and two cats.
To learn more about Michelle, visit: http://www.michellefondin.com.
In her most recent book, The Wheel of Healing with Ayurveda: An Easy Guide to a Healthy Lifestyle (published by New World Library) Michelle Fondin offers an in-depth exploration of Ayurveda, which originated in India at least five thousand years ago and has stood the test of time.
Ayurveda, the “science of life,” is a complete wellness system that includes all that we associate with medical care — prevention of disease, observation, diagnosis, and treatment — as well as self-care practices that are generally absent from Western medicine.
The book is built around eight “spokes” of the Ayurvedic wheel of healing — physical, spiritual, emotional, relationship, occupational, financial, and environmental health, as well as healing the past. Using the system of three principle doshas (Vata, Pitta, and Kapha), Michelle offers readers a self-assessment for discovering their mind-body type, as well as practical ways they can enhance their health based on their type.
During our in-depth conversation, Michelle and I discussed:
- What is Ayurveda and what are its roots?
- How Ayurveda helped change her life after reading “Perfect Health“ by Dr. Deepak Chopra
- Michelle’s long journey from illness to wellness after being diagnosed with cancer at age 28.
- The answers she got when she repeatedly asked, “What causes cancer?”
- How we can tap into our own body’s inherent wisdom.
- The crucial difference between the curative medicine that most Westerners utilize and preventative medicine.
- “You can use Ayurveda in conjunction with Western medicine, but it really gives you more tools for healing and to stay healthy and prevent yourself from becoming ill in the first place.”
- The Wheel of Healing that Michelle created and it’s eight different spokes that encompass all areas of your life.
- Her own Quest for Health and how she helps others do the same.
- What are Doshas, what do they tell about a person, and creating a Dosha-specific diet for you.
- Having a purpose or dharma and how Michelle is living hers.
- One of the steps she recommends to help others do the same: “Go back to where you were at when you were a child. What did you think about? What did you dream of becoming before the scepticism set in or the education set in or before the well-intended people in your life said, ‘Hey, that sounds nice, but how about earning a paycheck?””