For Life on Purpose Episode #45, my guest is Dan Millman, a former world champion athlete, university coach, martial arts instructor, and college professor whose seventeen books, including Way of the Peaceful Warrior, have inspired and informed millions of readers in 29 languages worldwide and truly changed lives.
Dan joins me for an inspiring chat about his latest book, The Four Purposes of Life- Finding Meaning and Direction in a Changing World, his own unique life journey, his classic Way of the Peaceful Warrior, what it MEANS to be a Peaceful Warrior, and much more!
During our hour-long, in-depth conversation, Dan and I discuss:
- How do you define a fulfilling life?
- Looking at our life journey as a “life school”
- The crucial importance of having a sense of direction towards a meaningful goal
- His own process for moving through life with clarity
- Mindfulness: “Paying attention to the present moment without judgement”
- Why do we need tools to help us with these concepts?
- How the concept that “we each teach that thing we most need to learn” applies to his life
- How can we achieve emotional freedom?
- “You can’t stop the waves, but you can learn to surf”
- His most controversial teaching that revolves around being brave, compassionate, or kind
- What are the six words that can change your life if you practice them?
- Why Life Purpose #4 is the most important
- What does it mean to live in the present moment?
- A focus on action and how to confront our fears
- What is the Peaceful Warrior’s Way?
- “We all strive to live with a peaceful warrior’s heart, but have to acknowledge that there are times when we need a warrior’s spirit.”
- The origins of the term Peaceful Warrior
- Differentiating between a career and a calling
- His long and winding journey to success
- Francis Bacon: “We rise to great heights by a winding staircase”
- His early struggles as an author
- The crucial importance of self-knowledge
- A hint about his next book, the third and final in the Peaceful Warrior trilogy
- What is his dharma?
- The importance of trusting our life unfolding.
About Dan Millman:
Dan Millman is a former world champion athlete, university coach, martial arts instructor, and college professor. After an intensive, twenty-year spiritual quest, Dan’s teaching found its form as the Peaceful Warrior’s Way, expressed fully in his books and lectures. His work continues to evolve over time, to meet the needs of a changing world.
Dan’s seventeen books, including Way of the Peaceful Warrior, have inspired and informed millions of readers in 29 languages worldwide. The feature film, Peaceful Warrior, starring Nick Nolte, was adapted from Dan’s first book, based upon incidents from his life.
Much of Dan’s time is devoted to writing and speaking. His keynotes, seminars, and workshops span the generations to influence men and women from all walks of life, including leaders in the fields of health, psychology, education, business, politics, sports, entertainment, and the arts.
Dan and his wife Joy live in northern California. They have three grown daughters and two grandsons so far.
To learn more about Dan and his work, visit: www.peacefulwarrior.com.
About the Four Purposes of Life:
Dan’s latest book, the paperback edition of The Four Purposes of Life- Finding Meaning and Direction in a Changing World was recently published by New World Library. Deepak Chopra says it offers “concise and practical guidance for living a meaningful life with a clear sense of purpose”, while Marianne Williamson noted “Once again, Dan Millman provides us with keys to a well-lived life.”
For many of us, life seems like a puzzle with missing pieces. We form plans and change them; we choose one path then another, trying to find the right mate and career, hoping that we’ve made the right decision and that it will all work out. At some point, we ask ourselves the central question: What is the purpose of my life?
Few writers approach the topic of life purpose with the clarity of Dan Millman, whose prior book The Life You Were Born to Live has reached more than a million readers worldwide. In The Four Purposes of Life, Millman distills decades of exploration and experience into a concise map of what we’re here to accomplish on our life’s journey.
This book is for anyone seeking deeper insight into themselves and their lives, but especially for those at a crossroads, facing a challenge or change, when past approaches no longer work.
These four purposes — learning life’s lessons, finding your career and calling, discovering your life path, and attending to this arising moment — will bring your life into sharper focus by revealing:
* the value of everyday challenges in relationships, health, work, and money
* how to make wiser decisions in career and relationships
* our twelve required courses in the school of life
* a mysterious system that clarifies your hidden calling
* keys to mastering the most important purpose of all
The Four Purposes of Life can generate a quantum leap in self-knowledge, insight, and wisdom. The seeds planted will bear fruit for years to come.